Some of the information found on this website has been provided through partnerships with external sources. The quality, accuracy and reliability of the information are the responsibility of these external sources. Those wishing more information, should consult the webmaster. Links to other websites are provided solely for the convenience of users of the SILT.ca website. SILT is not responsible for the information found through these links.
The materials on the SILT.ca website are provided “as is” and without warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied. Under no circumstances, including but not limited to negligence, shall SILT be liable for any damages that result from the use of, or the inability to use, the materials on this website or linked sites.
The Site is made available by SILT subject to these Terms. We reserve the right to update or make changes to these Terms from time to time in our sole discretion, which changes we may provide to you by any reasonable means, including without limitation by posting the revised draft of these Terms on the Site. You can determine when these Terms were last revised by referring to the “Last Updated” legend at the top of these Terms. You are bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this page to determine whether the Agreement has been revised since your previous review, and if so, to review the current version of these Terms. Your continued use of the Site following our posting of the revised Agreement will constitute your acceptance of such changes. When using any Services or Software, you agree that you are subject to any additional posted guidelines, rules, terms and conditions applicable to such Services or Software, which rules, terms and conditions are hereby incorporated by reference into these Terms.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any password you may use to access the Site, and agree not to transfer your password or screen name, or lend or otherwise transfer your use of or access to the Site, to any third party. You are fully responsible for all activity that occurs in connection with your password or screen name. You agree to immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or screen name or any other breach or attempted breach (whether actual or suspected) of security related to your account or the Site, and to ensure that you “log off”/exit from your account with the Site (if applicable) at the end of each session. We are not liable for any loss or damage arising from the use of your password or screen name.
Rules of Conduct
While using the Site you are required to comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. In addition, we expect users of the Site to respect the rights and dignity of others. Your use of the Site is conditional on your compliance with the rules of conduct set forth in this section; if SILT believes or suspects that you are not in compliance with these community standards / rules of conduct, SILT may terminate your access to the Site.
You agree not to
Post, transmit, or otherwise make available, through or in connection with the Site:
- Anything that is or may be (a) threatening, harassing, degrading, hateful or intimidating; (b) defamatory; (c) fraudulent or tortious; (d) obscene, indecent, pornographic or otherwise objectionable; or (e) protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or other proprietary right without the express prior consent of the owner of such right.
- Any material that would give rise to criminal or civil liability; that encourages conduct that constitutes a criminal offense; or that encourages or provides instructional information about illegal activities or activities such as “hacking,” “cracking,” or “phreaking.”
- Any virus, worm, Trojan horse, Easter egg, time bomb, spyware, or other computer code, file, or program that is harmful or invasive or that may or is intended to damage or hijack the operation of, or to monitor the use of, any hardware, software or equipment.
- Any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional material, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letter,” “pyramid scheme” or investment opportunity, or any other form of solicitation.
- Any material, non-public information about SILT without the proper authorization to do so.
- Use the Site for any fraudulent or unlawful purpose.
- Use the Site to defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights of others, including without limitation others’ privacy rights or rights of publicity, or harvest or collect personally identifiable information about users of the Site.
- Impersonate any person or entity, including without limitation any Site moderator or any representative of SILT or an Affiliated Entity; falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity in connection with the Site; or express or imply that we endorse any statement you make.
- Interfere with or disrupt the operation of the Site or the servers or networks used to make the Site available; or violate any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of such networks.
- Restrict or inhibit any other person from using the Site, including without limitation by hacking or defacing any portion of the Site.
- Use the Site to advertise or offer to sell or buy any goods or services for any business purpose, without express prior written consent from the National Search and Rescue Secretariat as the manager of SILT intellectual property.
- Reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or otherwise exploit for any commercial purposes, any portion of, use of, or access to the Site.
- Remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notice from the Site or materials originating from the Site.
- Frame or mirror any part of the Site or any Software or Service without SILT’s express prior written consent.
- Create a database by systematically downloading and storing Site content.
- Use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application or other manual or automatic device to retrieve, index, “scrape,” “data mine” or in any way gather Site content or reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Site.
You further agree not to
What kind of information is being collected? If you visit the SILT website to browse, read pages, or download information, we will gather and store certain information about the visit. The following information is automatically collected and stored:
- The Internet Protocol Address and domain name used. The Internet Protocol address is a numerical identifier assigned either to your Internet service provider or directly to your computer. This address can be translated to determine the domain name of your service provider (e.g. gov.bc.ca, xcompany.com or yourschool.edu);
- The type of browser and operating system;
- The date and time of the visit; and
- The web pages or services accessed. Information collected automatically is used for purposes such as assessing system performance, improving web services and web site management. We do not use this data to determine your identity unless required to do so as part of an internal investigation if warranted.
Information collected directly from you: Personal information is recorded information about an identifiable individual. Personal information includes such things as an individual’s name, email address and phone number. SILT does not collect personal information about you unless you voluntarily provide it to use specific online services. However, if you choose not to provide the information required for online services you may still be able to access SILT services by traditional methods such as personal contact, fax or mail. Your decision not to participate in electronic service delivery activities will not impair your ability to browse the web site, read or download any information provided on the site. If you believe that your personal information is being used for a purpose other than what was intended please direct your inquiries to the SILT program manager.
What safeguards are in place? Security measures have been integrated into the design, implementation and day-to-day operating practices.
Cookies: A cookie is a small file stored on your computer by your web browser when using some internet sites. Cookies can also store personal information such as your name, email address, home or work address, or telephone number. Session cookies are used to help you move around our web site and do not store personal information. Session cookies are valid only during the time you are actually using the web site.